Friday, November 2, 2007

The Art of Advertising

I work at a local sports bar called JP Looney's. The other night one of my co-workers called the work phone at Looney's and asked to speak to me. As I answered the phone she asked me if I could go in the bathroom, go into one of the stalls and read off the number of one of the advertisements that was posted on the stall door. It was for a ski resort that she was interested in going to.

Once I hung up the phone with her I was laughing because the whole situation was funny to me. A certain add on the bathroom stall door caught her eye while she was taking care of business and it created business for the company. When thinking of strategic ways of pushing your product and discovering the best ways of marketing and advertising your product, bathroom stalls would not be the first thing that came to my mind but yet it was a genius place. Though I did not realize before, sitting here typing this I can picture those certain advertisements on that same stall without even realizing it before.

Advertising seems to be in so many places that we see, but may not immediately be interpreted as advertising, thus creating the extraordinary "subliminal advertising". This is surrounded by us every day and we may not realize it, and also may not realize that we are being influenced by subliminal advertising. Something that really is crazy to me is how it is in many movies now. Someone will be holding a soda where the can is turned just perfectly towards the screen so the viewer can observe that it is indeed a Coke can.

After having this particular class and being exposed to so many different ways of advertising, it makes you more aware, thus trying to pick up on these specific strategies of advertising.

No comments: