Wednesday, November 7, 2007

News for You

Young adults today do not seem to intake as much news compared to the rest of society. Many are not interested, feel they read enough in class and choose not to read the paper in their free time, or they plain old do not care. With the average sales of newspapers dropping a great deal, the question arises as to where people obtain their news in the current day? Also, how does the news compare to such news as BBC or NY Times?
I personally do not read the paper. The only paper I happen to read is the UNCG student newspaper which is conveniently located in every building I have class in. My daily routine includes checking my mail in the morning and then scanning the news of the Yahoo home page. I personally like their articles because most of the time it is fun, interesting articles and less of the 'hard' news that always seems to be plastered on the covers of newspapers today. I personally do not like it because reading all of the sad stories and tragedies in America along with other countries seem to bring me down throughout the day thus I choose to avoid those. An interesting article I read today was "Tips for Avoiding Common Diet Mistakes" which is informative but probably not necessary. To compare my selection of news to that of BBC and NY Times is quite a difference.
When I searched BBC and NY Times news websites, NY Times homepage consisted of a picture with coffins and the article containing information about the death toll in Afghan rising. Then on the front page of BBC was police officers wearing gas masks and the article was about how Georgia was under a state of emergency. Both of these news websites consist of current worldly and political issues. Though these are important to me, it is not something I have an interest in reading day to day therefore I stick to a more friendly news setting that consists of new discovered recipes, and other more upbeat articles.

No comments: