Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Yahoo Avataars

I have a very similar opinion to Kristen and I want to expand more on the concept of the Yahoo Avataars. Before our professor sent this assignment out I have never heard of the Yahoo Avataar before. I went through the process of creating one and ended a half an hour later with great frustration. I have always been one that is in to fun and interesting parts of the technological world but this experience was not one of them. For me it was a long process of creating something that I did not find a valid point of it existing. By this I mean the development of this person that is attached to your messaging system. For me when I am instant messaging (I have personally always used AIM) I just want to type to that person; with Avataar it is that and also has a great extension of accessories you could say. Yes, being able to outfit the person how you want and change their hair style is fun, but I still do not see the point of it. Perhaps I am missing something but what Yahoo failed to do is tell me why this other stuff is important and perhaps more explanation would make me want to use this more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw a little blurb on the avataar homepage that said it's use to add expression to your messaging. Kind of like all the applications on Myspace and Facebook. Do you think if they were allowed, this would be a successful addition to Myspace/Facebook applications? Do you think members would use it/understand it?